Scholarship recipients announced

12 Sep 2016

Established in 2014, Matthew McLennan and Richard Howes have donated gifts for The Matthew McLennan and Richard Howes Outstanding Honours Collaboration Scholarship. The purpose of the scholarships is to encourage collaboration and development of teamwork attributes between top students from the Honours programs of the School of Business and/or the School of Economics at The University of Queensland.

This year’s chosen topic is around the calls by Australian Government to develop a more innovative business culture in Australia. The question which will be addressed is - What are the current challenges and what potential opportunities does this present for the Australian economy and how business and governments more effectively collaborate with universities to achieve a more innovative business culture in Australia?

The 2016 McLennan and Howes Outstanding Honours Collaboration Scholarship recipients are Thi Mai Anh Nguyen (Bachelor of Economics (Honours)) and Nkosana Mafico (Business Management (Honours)).

"The scholarship lightens my financial burden, thus allowing me to focus my time on studying. The collaboration opportunity that the scholarship presents will be an exciting, practical experience for me to apply my theoretical understanding to a real-word issue with all its complexities that might be detrimental if overlooked. Last but not least, I believe that I will learn several new ideas from the other scholarship recipient while we co-write the paper." - Thi Mai Anh Nguyen

"This scholarship will enable me to develop my research skills by collaborating with world class academics and a fellow student in the fields of Business and Economics. I will learn about innovative business culture development – this is an area of deep interest for me because I believe innovation is the key to my own career success and that of Australia’s economy. Ultimately, this scholarship shows that UQ, its students and alumni, are dedicated to creating positive societal and economic change by combining word class research training with the pursuit of real world challenges." - Nkosana Mafico